This e-Learning module is designed to support school staff in understanding and applying Ryan’s Law in their school to support the safety and well-being of students with asthma. It facilitates the implementation of PPM 161: Supporting Children and Students with Prevalent Medical Conditions (Anaphylaxis, Asthma, Diabetes, and/or Epilepsy) in Schools related to students with asthma.
By completing this e-Learning module participants will:
- Understand asthma including its triggers, symptoms, medications, exercise and asthma, and how to support students with asthma.
- Understand how to recognize and respond to asthma attacks (sometimes referred to as asthma episodes, asthma exacerbations, worsening asthma or asthma flare-ups) and the importance of asthma control.
- Understand Ryan’s Law, its origin, and its legal implications including PPM 161.
- Learn about goals and strategies for creating asthma friendly school communities.
- Learn about resources and implementation supports available to assist them in creating asthma friendly school communities.
- Engage in a variety of learning activities using text, video, and illustrations.
Videos from Ophea's Creating Asthma Friendly Schools YouTube Playlist are used throughout the e-Learning module. Participants will engage in “pause and reflect” activities to make connections to their knowledge and experiences.
If you’d like to obtain the e-Learning module to integrate within your Board’s learning management system, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.