The Effective Planning in H&PE resource has been developed to support secondary educators with the planning for and implementation of the H&PE Curriculum.
Effective Planning in H&PE provides educators with a summary of key information, which includes practical examples to assist planning for instruction.
Section 1: Long Range Planning
- supports teachers in designing long range plans to deliver quality programs in H&PE that align with the H&PE Curriculum, and current pedagogy related to effective delivery of H&PE; and
- includes considerations for designing long range plans and an example of a long range plan.
Section 2: Effective Unit Design to Support Unit Planning
- supports teachers in designing units of learning to offer effective instruction to support the success of all students in developing their physical literacy skills;
- supports teachers in aligning their unit planning with current pedagogy related to effective instruction; and
- directs teachers to four sample units designed using the Teaching Games for Understanding approach and one sample unit on Individual and Recreational Pursuits.
Section 3: Success for All: Developing Physical Literacy Skills
- supports teachers in implementing effective assessment and evaluation practices in H&PE;
- includes instruction on considerations for designing instruction to support students in the development of physical literacy;
- includes suggestions for adapting instruction, assessment, equipment and space to enhance learning and increase success for all students; and
- provides information about the Movement Competence Posters for use in effective instruction and assessment.
Section 4: Gathering Evidence to Support Student Learning
- supports teachers in using a variety of assessment strategies to gather evidence of student learning;
- includes samples of four differentiated structures: Choice Boards, Cubing, RAFTs, and Tiering; and
- includes strategies for gathering evidence through conversation, teacher observation and student products.